Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Doll earrings

  1. #1
    Inactive Member AGnewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 18th, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I recently acquired an Addy doll without earrings, but with holes in her ears; Also, I have a Josefina with earrings that have lost their gold luster. Has anyone ever replaced the earrings? can you purchase as a replacement from AG?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member AGnewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 18th, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Addy was an Ebay purchase. I guess the previous owner must of removed the earrings. She is in excellent condition minus the earrings, but with holes in her ears. I am not sure what to do.

  3. #3
    Sail-Away
    Guest Sail-Away's Avatar

    Post

    If you remove her head you could just get a pair of ear rings and add in your own with the backing on the inside. It might need to be a belly ring or tounge ring because the bars on those are longer. The head is easy enough to remove and I know when I was working on Josie, Marina was able to get her fingers in and feel the backs of her ear rings no problem. I could easily too. So good luck with whatever you decide to do.

    You could always send her in for a head replacement.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Kathy Henning's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 4th, 2003
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I wanted to put earrings on a non AG doll. My DH drilled holes in each ear with a hobby size drill. Then I got gold jump rings from the bead section of Michael's in the correct size for the earrings. We put a drop of crazy glue on the end of the ring and they have stayed in the ears for almost two years.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ September 19, 2004 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Kathy Henning ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member dolllover's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the earrings don't come out, so I don't think you can buy replacements. how did you get an Addy doll without earrings, if all the Josefina's and Addy's have earrings?

  6. #6
    AngieGill
    Guest AngieGill's Avatar

    Post

    If you choose to replace the earrings, make sure you use only gold earrings.. various metals will, over time, turn the dolls ears green. This is a common problem in the vintage barbie community. The metals, especially copper and brass, will turn green over time and the vinyl, being porous, will soak this up and it is not reversable.. once the damage is done, it is there forever.

  7. #7
    courtneysunshine
    Guest courtneysunshine's Avatar

    Post

    Twin Pines has a product that will remove the green/black discoloration marks caused by metals on the vinyl. It even works on Barbies. If you go to their website, you can see a dramatic restoration of a Madame Alexander doll. Truly impressive.

    Kim [img]smile.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    AngieGill
    Guest AngieGill's Avatar

    Post

    Kim,
    I have tried Twin Pines and it is a chancy product. I dont recommend it to be used on any vintage Barbie. I have been a doll artist and restorationist for 8 years now.. I dont like to take chances.. dont recommend it for Vintage 1600 series Barbies at all as it can bleach the paint out of the eyes and it can cause the vinyl to crumble like a dry rotted eraser on them.. as far as for Mod, it will bleach the vinyl.. takes the coloring out of it leaving a big whitish green spot where the green ear used to be. I dont know how it would react, but I would venture to say that it might have a similar effect. Just too chancy to try in my professional opinion.
    Angie Gill
    www.GillyGals.com

  9. #9
    courtneysunshine
    Guest courtneysunshine's Avatar

    Post

    I guess it is "to each his own". I know many people who have been doll restorationists for many, many years and they love the Twin Pines products and definitely recommend them. I guess it just depends on what you personally like. We have been very happy with all their products and they seem to work better than anything else we have tried.

    Kim [img]smile.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    AngieGill
    Guest AngieGill's Avatar

    Post

    I didnt know you were into Vintage Barbie! Have I ever met you at a National Barbie Convention or at Grant a Wish? That is a fun convention.. If you go, let me know, I will be there! I will be teaching another workshop on doll restorations and tips on creating one of a kinds...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •